Can’t play YouTube videos on your mobile or
Despite the fact that platforms such as Twitch or TikTok threaten the throne of YouTube, the service acquired by Google in 2006 after paying 1,650 million dollars, it is YouTube that remains number one when it comes to offering support for medium and long videos. extension. With this popularity, Google has had to include different tools with which to protect those who do not want to reproduce inappropriate content. Restricted mode is among the most common features.
In restricted mode it greatly limits YouTube content
The idea behind this mode is to filter the videos to play to prevent viewing if said videos have a theme inappropriate for minors. In practice, a good part of the videos can be qualified as not suitable: it is enough that some bad language is used for them to take that qualification; which will reflect a black screen when playing them.
Restricted mode limits videos and also the comments of those videos. When activated, a black screen appears with the message “This video is not available with restricted mode enabled“. In the case of comments, if the aforementioned mode is running, the messages are hidden under a “Restricted mode has hidden comments for this video“.
This restricted mode affects the following:
- On the device where it is activated/deactivated.That is, if you use a mobile you have to activate/deactivate the restricted mode on said mobile; without affecting your computer, tablet and any other device on which you play YouTube with your Google account.
- in family accounts. For families whose parents have child accounts associated with theirs, they can turn on YouTube Restricted Mode on a child-by-child basis.
- Smart speakers and displays have their own YouTube restricted mode. This affects all the content of the platform that is sent from the mobile, even if it does not have restricted mode activated.
In case you get the youtube black screen with the message that you have restricted mode activated, you can deactivate it in the following ways depending on the device or environment you are in. If what you want is to activate the restricted mode, follow the same steps: the process is identical.
How to remove YouTube restricted mode on your mobile or tablet
- Open the YouTube app and go to your avatar icon.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Go into the general settings.
- Scroll down to “Restricted Mode” and turn it off. Or click on the selector in case you want the opposite, activate it.
How to turn restricted mode on or off on a family account
- If you don’t already have it, download the Google Family Link app on your phone.
- Open the app and enter the account managed by your family.
- Click on the family member you want to modify and click on “Manage settings”.
- Go to YouTube and turn restricted mode on or off.
- To turn on the restricted mode the family account has to open YouTube on their mobile at least once.
How to remove restricted mode from a Google Home or Nest
- Open the Google Home app on your mobile.
- Go to the speaker or smart screen that you want to configure and click on the upper settings icon, on the cogwheel.
- Go to “Notifications and Digital Wellbeing”.
- Go into “YouTube Settings”.
- Look at the top menu for restricted mode and turn off the “Restrict for me” options.
- If you want, you can remove the restrictions for any YouTube video by unchecking the “Restrict for unauthorized people”.