It is enough that you do not expect calls to be bothered with one that, on top of that, comes from an unknown number. And it’s not always a good idea to turn it down, it could be from someone who just you did not have in the agenda yet. What are you considering whether to return the communication or forget it? Make sure first that this unknown number was not Spam, you can save yourself more than one trouble.
Spam calls are all too common, even though you register on platforms like the Robinson list (which we recommend, you will reduce to almost zero the chances of being called). And the best thing is that your Android mobile has an excellent tool with which to combat unwanted commercial communications: the Google phone. This app, together with the lists of Spam numbers, make up the best strategy to get rid of these communications.
Say goodbye to spam calls
Spam call filter in the Google phone app
Not all unknown numbers are going to have commercial intentions; so our recommendation is that you do not block unknown communications completely on your Android mobile: the possibility that someone you know is not on your agenda is high. Although yes, it is not a bad idea to make use of the anti Spam options of your phone application. And, as an added recommendation, the Robinson list will help prevent companies from contacting you if you have not expressed concern.
Do you want to make sure that your mobile filters all unwanted communications? The Google phone app, which comes pre-installed on most Android smartphones, is a great ally:
- Open the phone app on your Android.
- Click on the three upper menu points and click on “Settings”.
- Go into “Caller ID and spam».
- Make sure you have both options checked: «View caller ID and spam” and “Filter spam calls».
- As an extra, if you have a Pixel you can make Google Assistant respond to those communications that you are not interested in responding to: when you see the call on the screen click on the filter calls button, the one that appears with the wizard icon. The conversation will appear written on your mobile and you can decide whether to answer directly or hang up the call.
With the above you will avoid being bothered to a large extent, but the number will still appear in the call list. Google can tell you if any correspond to a company if you ask
Was the missed call spam? Check it
Spam calls received and a fraud attempt
You have an unknown number in your call list and you are interested in knowing the reasons why it called you. Since it can be spam, you might as well pick up the phone and they end up selling you something you don’t really need. Or worse: there are scams that take advantage of curiosity to commit callback fraud. You should stay alert: if they really have a reason to call you, they will contact you again.
Let’s see. How to know who an unknown number belongs to and if it is spam? There are four good ways apart from the phone app.
- Google the number. The most basic: copy the phone number and paste it into Google. Surely you will find information about the person or company behind it.
- google maps. Just like Google, but applied directly to businesses: Maps can tell you who the number belongs to and their exact location.
- listspam. An excellent directory of business numbers with information about the companies, the reasons why they call and the opinion of those who received the communications before you. Access the page from this link.
- Who has called? Web similar to the previous one that has an extensive database with commercial telephone numbers. User feedback will help you take action against future calls – you can visit the page here.
Once detected that the number that called you belongs to the Spam category, the best thing you can do is add it to the blocked list on your mobile: hold down on said number in the call list and choose «Block/Mark as Spam». It won’t bother you anymore.