A good part of the televisions and players that integrate Android TV as an operating system offer access to the most important platforms through a button on the remote. Netflix is the one with the most options to watch, including access; button that may become useless if you canceled the subscription to the platform. So, do you want to give this button a new use? It’s not complicated at all: you can fully customize your Android TV remote control.
Thanks to the extreme customization that comes standard on all Android devices, TVs with the system adapted to large screens also have launchers with which to change the appearance, we can install applications to free up space and even customize specific aspects such as the remote control buttons. Keeping a specific number to launch an app, for example, is also possible “remap” the buttons that manufacturers usually include with the names of streaming services. This customization gets even more out of Android TV.
With Button Mapper you can customize any button
When you have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max and other platforms, it’s great to have a direct button on the remote control with which to instantly launch the application. And of course, if you cut off your relationship with Netflix, and on top of that you have to see its icon every time you grab the remote control of your Android TVWell, what less than with the press it behaves as you want instead of opening an app that no longer works for you.
The app that we propose is Button Mapper, an old acquaintance of smartphones that also provides service on Android TV. With her you can change the operation of any button included in your remote control; either the power one or the volume ones. ob
Application to change the functions of the physical buttons of Android
The first step is the usual one: you must access the Button Mpper installation on your Android TV. Search for it from the app store or download it remotely from your mobile or computer. Then tap configure the button you want.
- Access the settings of your TV and enter “Accessibility”.
- Activate the “Button Reconfiguration” option.
- Open Button Mapper on your Android TV and turn on the accessibility service for the app.
- Go back to the app menu and click on “Add buttons”.
- Click on the “+” and then on the Netflix button on your remote control.
- Once you have the button created, click on it to configure it.
- Check the “Custom” switch, go to “Actions” after entering the 1-tap menu and choose the app you want to open with your Netflix button.
- Once configured Android TV will open the application you chose as you press the button. You can add more actions to that button with a long press, for example; as well as reconfigure the rest of the command.
With Button Mapper you can give new life to your TV remote and change those buttons that became obsolete, as is the case of shortcuts to platforms. So you won’t have to lose buttons; no matter how much you continue to see the Netflix logo, for that there is no other solution than to stick a sticker on top.
In Xataka Android | Chromecast built into Android TV, troubleshooting