The definitive goodbye has been consummated today, June 22: Android Auto for phones, the application that adapted the smartphone to the requirements of driving, stops working on all mobiles. Default, Android Auto only works on the screen of carsalthough there are ways to keep its interface even if Google has taken it away from you.
Android 12 was a setback for Android Auto users on mobile: the dedicated application, which Google hasn’t updated since October 2021, has officially stopped working. This means that the car console can no longer be used on the phone screen, a very useful way to make up for the lack of Android Auto in the vehicle. Google Assistant Driving Mode is the replacement for the missing feature, but it’s not even remotely the same.
You can simulate that your mobile is a car
The official Android Auto app for phones doesn’t work whether they are Android 12 or below. In fact, appears as unavailable in the Google Play Store. And no matter what APK is installed, Google clearly warns that “Android Auto becomes available only on car screens“.
Since the official solutions go through making use of the Google Assistant driving mode, a mode that not available in all countries and phones, it’s time to find an alternative that allows us to maintain the Android Auto that we know in almost any mobile. And it exists: Headunit Reloaded makes it possible.
It is not the first time that we recommend this application, it is a true wonder for those who want to make sure Android Auto is just the system they need in the car. And it allows to continue using the vehicle interface on the phone screen, this is the process:
- Open Android Auto on your mobile. The easiest way to find it is to go into the phone’s settings and type “Android Auto”. Click on the result with that name.
- Once in the Android Auto menu, scroll down to the version number. Press several times and accept the activation of developer settings.
- Once you have the Android Auto developer settings active, click on the three upper menu points and choose “Start head unit server“. Your Android mobile is ready.
- Download Headunit Reloaded to your mobile. It is a paid application: it costs 4.89 euros. You can make sure it works for you by trying the free limited version first.
- Open Headunit Realoaded, follow the setup steps and accept the permissions.
- Make sure you keep the phone horizontal (vertically it probably won’t look good) and click on the Self Mode icon.
- The initial Android Auto setup will open. Once completed, Headunit Reloaded will project the car screen on the phone.
The app takes care of receiving the projected screen from the Android Auto app for project it in turn on the telephone panel. In this way you have a 100% functional Android Auto, with all the options included and without having to go through the Google Assistant driving mode. Also, Headunit Reloaded should work on any mobile running Android 4.1 or higher.
Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto
- Developer: B3IT (Borconi Emil IT)
- Download it at: google play
- Price: €4.89
- Category: Video